Slow cooker apple butter. Friends have told me it is THE BEST ever! We name ours ‘Panther Butter’ for our local high school football team!
- 12 apples – peeled, cored, and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and cloves in a slow cooker.
- Cook on High until the apples are tender enough to easily mash with a fork, 4 to 6 hours.
- Puree apple mixture with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack apple butter into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids, and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.