I am carrying on the tradition of making these delicious pillows of flavor. My grandma taught me when I was young. These go great with gravy.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 slices square sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- The day before, boil potatoes with the skins on until tender. Cook enough to make at least 6 cups cold riced potatoes. Peel the potatoes, and rice them. Refrigerate them until needed.
- Brown 2 to 3 pieces of bread in butter for croutons. Cut into small pieces, and let cool.
- Combine riced potatoes, 5 or 6 beaten eggs, salt, and flour. Add croutons, and mix together. The mixture should stick together. Too much flour will make them heavy.
- Form into balls about the size of tennis balls. Drop into boiling water in a large pot. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.