This easy recipe makes a large pot of soup that will feed a small crowd or leaves leftovers for those nights you just don’t feel like cooking. The leftovers freeze well in meal-size containers or plastic bags. You can add potatoes or use any combination of vegetables to suit your taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 6 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 46 ounces low-sodium vegetable juice (such as V8®)
- 46 ounces reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can yellow corn, drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 8 ounces frozen lima beans
- 8 ounces frozen sliced okra
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, and carrots until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir garlic into onion mixture; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef in batches in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer browned beef to onion mixture in the large pot using a slotted spoon.
- Heat onion-beef mixture over medium heat. Stir vegetable juice, beef broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, beef bouillon, thyme, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper into beef mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer to blend the flavors, at least 1 hour.
- Stir corn, kidney beans, cannellini beans, great Northern beans, green beans, peas, lima beans, and okra into beef mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.