A nice mildly spicy cornbread recipe. Great with chili. You may want to adjust the amount of cayenne and hot sauce to taste. For this recipe I use cast iron pans that have 5 small corn cob shapes in them, but any cast iron frying pan will do.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven and skillet to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. In a small bowl, beat together milk, eggs and hot pepper sauce. Stir milk mixture into the flour/cornmeal mixture until just blended. Remove hot skillet from oven, spray with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter into skillet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.