This was one of those recipes I created when I was cleaning out my spice cabinet! Everyone asks me for this recipe!
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (such as Progresso®)
- 2 teaspoons roasted onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon blackened seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground sea salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Beat the egg with milk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, roasted onion flakes, garlic, blackened seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Dip a tilapia fillet into the egg mixture, then press gently into the crumb mixture on both sides; set the coated fillet onto a plate. Repeat with remaining fillets; refrigerate the coated fillets for about 15 minutes to help set the crumbs.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a cast-iron frying pan over medium heat. Lay the fillets into the skillet, and pan-fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. The fish should be opaque and flaky underneath the coating. Remove and drain fillets on paper towels.