My family does not love sweet cornbread so I came up with this recipe. It is moist and buttery and a great balance of flavors.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red chile pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, or to taste
- Pour vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet; place in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Mix cream-style corn, cornmeal, buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, eggs, salt, and red chile pepper together in a bowl to form batter. Remove skillet from oven using oven mitts; pour in batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges pull away from skillet, 30 to 40 minutes. Spread butter over top.