These beans turn out fabulous in the slow cooker! I developed this recipe after finding too many hard beans after cooking with a pot on the stove.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound Black Forest ham, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 5 cups chicken broth, or as needed to cover
- Cover pinto beans with water in a large bowl; allow beans to soak overnight.
- Place onion, green bell pepper, celery, garlic, Black Forest ham, soaked pinto beans, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, and lard in a slow cooker.
- Pour enough chicken broth into the slow cooker to cover the other ingredients.
- Cook on High until beans are very tender, 5 to 6 hours.