A classic beef stew that you will savor. This stew really satisfies both your hunger and your taste buds, plus it’s easy to make and smells so gosh darn good!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups merlot wine
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 quart milk
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 carrots, diced
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over high heat; saute beef until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add onion. Continue to saute until onion is softened and browned around the edges, about 5 minutes more. Transfer beef mixture to a bowl.
- Pour wine into the same pot used to cook beef and bring wine to a boil. Boil until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir beef bouillon into wine and cook until dissolved, about 5 minutes. Return beef to the pot and add milk, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Season with oregano, basil, coriander, pepper, cumin, and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer until beef is tender, about 1 hour.