This cake is simply great with the odd ingredient of beets. It goes in the oven pink and comes out a nice rich beige color. It’s a great way to use up those extra beets you have from your garden. I often ice it with a cream cheese icing.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded beets
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the vegetable oil and sugar until well blended. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the shredded beets and pineapple with juice. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt; stir into the beet mixture until just incorporated. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. When cool, frost as desired, or eat plain.