This is an old-fashioned pie. It is very good, but rich!
- 2 (9 inch) pie shells, baked
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 cups water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Beat together egg yolks, evaporated milk, syrup, melted butter or margarine, vanilla, 1/2 cup sugar, and flour.
- Brown 2 cups sugar in an iron skillet until light brown. Remove from heat. Add water; and return to heat until sugar dissolves. Pour in egg yolk mixture. Cook until thickened, then simmer 5 minutes. Pour filling into 2 baked pie shells.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and 1/2 cup sugar; continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pies, sealing the edges.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 15 minutes.