This recipe is for those people that do not like sweet cornbread. For me, this is my comfort food and what I grew up on.
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon butter, or as needed
- 1 pinch paprika (optional)
- 1 pinch kosher salt (optional)
- Place a cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Mix white cornmeal, yellow cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, lard, and vegetable oil; stir will to combine. Stir in egg until smooth batter forms.
- Remove hot cast iron skillet from oven, melt butter in skillet, then pour in batter. Top with paprika and kosher salt. Return skillet to oven.
- Reduce temperature to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) and bake until cornbread is golden brown and pulling away from the sides of the pan, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.