A kind of marriage between the traditional chicken pot pie and chicken and dumplings. My family begs me to make this!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can peas, drained
- 4 cups diced, cooked chicken meat
- 2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots in butter until tender. Mix in the flour, sugar, salt, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and pepper. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil 1 minute, reduce heat, and stir in peas. Simmer 5 minutes, then mix in chicken. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking mix and 2 teaspoons dried basil. Stir in milk to form a dough. Divide the dough into 6 to 8 balls. On floured wax paper, use the palm of your hand to flatten each ball of dough into a circular shape; place on top of chicken mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake for 10 more minutes. To serve, spoon chicken mixture over biscuits.