I have tried this recipe with several varieties of white fish and it is always wonderful. This recipe also works without the flour for those of you who have allergies to wheat. I run a fish market and have shared this recipe with many people and they always come back with rave reviews. Serve with your favorite tartar sauce and chips (French fries)!
- 2 cups dry potato flakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 (6 ounce) fillets cod
- 2 cups butter flavored shortening, for frying
- In medium bowl, combine the potato flakes, flour, garlic powder, seasoning salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Soak fish filets in bowl of cold water.
- In a deep skillet or deep fryer, melt and heat the shortening to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dredge fish filets in dry mixture and fry in the hot oil for 5 minutes or until fish flakes apart easily. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.