These sweet potatoes are delicious. I cook them in the pressure cooker and then top them with orange-brown sugar glaze. They pair extremely well with roasted chicken and green beans.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 1/4-inch slices. Place the slices into the pressure cooker’s steamer basket. Sprinkle slices with salt.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Pour orange juice into the cooker (see Editor’s Note, below). Place the trivet and the steamer basket with the sweet potatoes into the pot. Sprinkle the potatoes with brown sugar mixture. Place butter pieces on top.
- Lock the lid into place and bring the cooker up to full pressure (15 pounds per square inch) over high heat. Once pressure is reached, reduce heat to low and cook for 7 minutes.
- Quickly release the pressure using the method recommended by your cooker’s manufacturer. Do not discard the cooking liquid.
- Remove the steamer basket from the cooker and carefully place potatoes into a serving dish. Return the cooker to the stove and bring cooking liquid to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, until the cooking liquid is reduced and syrupy, 5 to 7 minutes. The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour syrup over sweet potatoes and serve.