A spicy chicken and chile dish. A good friend of mine from Guadalajara who works hard to make this on the stove inspired me to make my own version in the slow cooker. Serve on tostada shells and garnish with chopped cilantro and onions.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 (7 ounces) can chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, chopped and seeded
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 (1 pound) chorizo sausage
- Mix chicken, onion, tomato sauce, chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, jalapeno peppers, garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using 2 forks; return to the slow cooker.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir chorizo sausage in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes; drain and discard grease. Stir chorizo into chicken mixture.
- Cook on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour.