My husband is an avid hunter…this soup is the most requested every time he goes on a hunting trip. One bowl is never enough!! Very satisfying.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound venison, cut into cubes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Heat oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the venison in the hot oil. Add onion, cover pot and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir the mixed vegetables, tomatoes and potatoes. Combine the water, sugar and bouillon, stir into the soup. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for at least one hour, or until the meat is tender.