This is how my mother in law makes beef stew and she is from Alabama. As southern as you can get. Do not use generic tomatoes, they make this bland. I use arm shoulder roast and cut it up cause some beef stew meat is too tough. You can also make this with turtle meat and call it turtle stew, that’s what we do! You can adjust the ingredients according to your own taste. We love to eat this with buttered bread.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef, and quickly brown on all sides. Pour in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, and stewed tomatoes. Add the okra, lima beans and corn. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer for about 1 hour. Add potatoes, and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes, or until meat is very tender.