Y’all, this is my favorite sandwich bread recipe. Homemade buttermilk bread is so easy that even a beginner can make it! You will love the sweetness from the honey.
- 1 tablespoon/packet yeast, I usually use 1 because I buy in bulk.
- 1 pinch powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups warm buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup butter, just above room temperature
- In a medium-sized bowl mix the yeast, ginger, sugar, and warm water.
- Set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Whisk the buttermilk, honey, salt, and baking soda together and add it to the yeast mixture.
- Add three cups of flour and mix until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes on low of a stand mixer.
- Pour in the butter until it is totally mixed into the batter.
- Add the rest of the flour, one cup at a time, keeping mixer at low speed.
- When the dough pulls from the sides of the bowl remove it from the mixer to a lightly floured surface. Knead until elastic and smooth. You can also knead in your mixer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Place in a greased bowl, turn to grease the top and cover with a clean tea towel.
- Allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until double.
- Punch down and form into two loaves. Place in greased loaf pans and grease tops.
- Cover, and allow to rise for 45 minutes, or until it is just about to the tops of the bread pans.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bake for 30 minutes. You can cover the tops with foil if they brown too fast.
- Remove loaves from oven and brush with melted butter.
- Allow cooling in pans for 10 minutes.
- Gently run a knife around the edge between the bread and the pan to loosen it.
- Turn out and cool completely on a rack.
- Cover for soft crusts.