This is a delicious, rich, creamy, and satisfying chicken stew that my mom makes when the weather is nippy out. Use more or less veggies to your liking if desired. I usually bake a homemade loaf of bread to dig in. This is comfort food at its best!
- 2 potato, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup diced boneless chicken
- 1 clove garlic, or more to taste, minced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add potatoes and carrots; cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add peas; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet until melted. Add chicken and garlic; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and green onion; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir chicken stock, heavy cream, mustard powder, salt, and pepper into the skillet. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Fold in potatoes, carrots, and peas; cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Remove stew from heat and garnish with cilantro.