These Mashed Potatoes are creamy and buttery, topped with cheddar cheese, bacon and scallions. They’re a breeze to make and perfect for making ahead.
- 8 ounces bacon or more to taste
- 3 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 stick butter
- 1 container (16 oz) sour cream
- 4 teaspoons Kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the potatoes into a large pot and cover with water and 2 teaspoons of the salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and put them back into the pot with the butter and sour cream.
- Mash them well and add in the remaining salt and the pepper.
- Scoop the potatoes into a 9×13 casserole dish and top with the cheese and bacon.
- Cook the potatoes for 5-10 minutes covered with foil, or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Garnish with green onions before serving.